Deloitte has recently released “The Inclusion Imperative for Boards,” which analyzes the importance of an inclusive corporate culture and demonstrates how boards can ingrain inclusion into their governance strategy. Board efforts to increase diversity are well-known (see: Missing Pieces Report). But efforts to achieve inclusion, or helping all members of the organization to connect, belong and grow; are less evident.
Mike Fucci, chairman of the board and Terri Cooper, chief inclusion officer at Deloitte provide a playbook for boards to understand the difference between diversity and inclusion, and why inclusion is a strategic priority. They show how boards can immediately begin to cultivate an inclusive culture by:
- Strategy: Understanding the organization’s current diversity and inclusion environment
- Talent: Educating board members on inclusion and inclusive governance
- Governance: Embedding inclusion into all board processes
- Integrity: Defining what inclusion means and what behaviors that support it
- Performance: Prioritizing inclusion as a strategic imperative on the board’s agenda, and monitor relevant metrics
You can view the full report here. Both Mike and Terri are available to speak further on igniting inclusion through governance. Let me know if you’d like to speak with them.