Congressional Black Caucus Foundation is partnering with ODYSSEY IMPACT(TM) to host a film screening of MILWAUKEE 53206 and a panel discussion, “The Most Powerful Medium,” as part of CBCF’s 48th Annual Legislative Conference being held in Washington, DC. The special event is part of Odyssey Impact’s efforts to raise awareness about the mass incarceration crisis and its devastating toll on families and communities, and the power of film to inspire change.
Directed by Keith McQuirter and produced by Transform Films, MILWAUKEE 53206 chronicles the harsh reality of those living in zip code 53206, which incarcerates the highest proportion of African American males in the nation – up to 62% have been imprisoned by age 34. The timely documentary uses personal stories to take an intimate look at the high cost of excessive sentencing and mass incarceration on individuals and families, and the challenges these men face upon re-entering society.
Odyssey Impact(TM) believes that powerful documentaries with messages of social justice can motivate meaningful social change by raising awareness, changing attitudes and inspiring people of all faiths and good will to engage their communities on important issues in their lives. Odyssey Impact has worked with faith communities, government agencies, advocacy groups and nonprofit organizations to host screenings of MILWAUKEE 53206 and help draw attention to the need for parole and sentencing reform in Wisconsin and other areas in the U.S.
Melissa Potter (Moderator): Head of Social Impact & Communications, Odyssey Impact
• Van Lathan: Senior Producer, TMZ and Host, The Red Pill Podcast
• Twyla Carter: Senior Attorney, ACLU
• Rev. Derrick Harkins: Senior Vice President for Innovations in Public Programming at Union Theological Seminary
• Indira Henard: Executive Director, DC Rape Crisis Center
• Baron Walker: Featured in award-winning film MILWAUKEE 53206; released on August 17, 2018 after 22 years in a Wisconsin prison.
Thursday, September 13, 2018, 4:00-6:00 pm ET
• Film screening: MILWAUKEE 53026
• Panel discussion: “The Most Powerful Medium”
Walter E. Washington Convention Center, Room 202B
801 Mt. Vernon Place, NW; Washington, DC 20001