Mimi G is the woman behind the hugely popular, awardwinning fashion, lifestyle, and DIY blog MimiGSyle.com who is making sewing both hip and approachable to her 2 million social media followers and subscribers through her online sewing school SewItAcademy.com. What started as a hobby in 2012 has blossomed into an international brand with daily engagement of more than 2.1 million followers across social media platforms, 12 million-page views annually, and 575K unique visitors per month on her blog. Just in time for the holiday season, we would love to set up an interview with you and Mimi G to share her creative and fun DIY sewing ideas for gifts, décor and overall festive fun – some ideas below.
A natural on-camera, please see her recent appearance on LA’s “KTLA Morning Show” here: Mimi G Morning Show Segment
MIMI G’s DIY HOLIDAY GIFTS, DÉCOR & FESTIVE FUN IDEAS:
- Custom Monogrammed Stockings: Make your own custom stockings, personalized with names. Can be made from an old favorite blanket or holiday sweater, or in new unifying fabric for the whole family!
- Holiday Sweater Pillow: Get a hole or outgrow an old holiday sweater? Turn them into festive déc or by making them into throw pillows.
- Festive Treat Bag: Throwing a holiday soiree and looking to give your guests a parting gift? These cute little treat bags are easy to make and are great for giving away sweet treats! (as seen on the right)
- Christmas Fabric Garland: Create beautiful fabric “garland” by tying together your extra holiday color fabric scraps and ribbon – easy to do and makes for fun décor!
- Felt Ornaments: Nothing says the holiday season like bold and bright Christmas lights, so what a fun idea to turn them into beautiful felt ornaments add a splash of color to your tree. Another idea is to make felt stars, reindeers, Santa Clauses, angels, snowmen, etc.
- Ear Warmer Headband: The perfect homemade gift for your fashionable friend, a soft and cute ear warmer headband is perfect for the winter season.
- Bandana Bibs for Toddlers: A sweet and adorable gift for the toddler in your life, these easy to make gifts will come in handy with all of the holiday food!
- Colorful DIY Felt Coasters! Layer a few different sizes of felt circles on top of each other and sew them together with a contrasting thread to create beautiful and unique coasters – makes for a great gift!
- Quilted Tree Skirt & Ornaments: Make a beautiful quilted tree skirt and balled ornaments from old quilts or new fabric. Adds a lovely touch to your tree!! (see example above right)
- Felt Holly Ascot or Festive Scarf for the Family Pet: Your dogs and cats (and
other pets as well!) always enjoy getting into the holiday action. These super cute custom projects make great gifts for the animal lovers in your life!
- Blanket Jacket: Turn an old blanket into a cozy new jacket! (see example below left)
- Old Denim Tree Skirt: Do you have a bunch of old jeans laying around that you just can’t seem to get rid of? Turn them into your new tree skirt to give your home a rustic and retro holiday feel!
- Darling Toiletry Bag & Cat Sleeping Mask: Perfect gift for that person in your life
who is always on a plane. Create a pretty fabric toiletry bag and cat shaped sleeping mask so that they are sure to get their beauty rest.
Mimi G is a mother of four and a champion of women, but before that she was the victim of sexual abuse as a child, a teen runaway, a homeless teenage mother, and a domestic violence survivor. However, the story of Mimi is not in her challenges, it is in her triumphs. She had a knack for seeing a design on the runway and being able to recreate it herself, for someone that was struggling financially, this was something that helped set her apart career wise and in important meetings. Her blog took off – people were drawn to her hip and cool approach to sewing.A savvy entrepreneur, Mimi G founded SewItAcademy.com, the country’s leading online sewing school designed to be accessible and affordable for anyone interested in learning to sew and design. Mimi has collaborated with over 350 brands including Target, Google, Macy’s, The Home Depot, Coca-Cola, Verizon, Revlon and more.